Friday, August 19, 2022

A11 - Another Way

     As dawn crept into the upper parts of the stalks, Lanix woke first.  In the stalks near her, she could hear some quiet whispers so she remained still and strained to hear the conversation.

    "But there's a Tor with them," came the first voice.  "And an Ix."

    "So what?!"  Exclaimed the second voice.

    "Well, as a group we don't attack other Tor and as a personal resolution, I don't go anywhere near Ix.  They're spirits of the dead."

    "That's just old Tor legend."

    "So, do we just attack the Ren and the other one?  I think he's Voy, but why would a Voy be way out here?"

    "Maybe the Voy and the Tor were kidnapped by the Ix and the Ren."

    "But why would a Ren work with an Ix?  That just makes no sense."

    "Then, maybe the Ix captured them all and we need to save them.  The Voy could offer a nice ransom."

    "Yes, but then we're attacking the Ix, which I told you, I don't do.  See this scar on my chin?  That's from the one time I tried to counter an Ix and I won't do it again."

    "So you just want to leave this group and whatever treasures they might be holding? Coward."

    "I'd rather be an alive coward than a..."  the voice broke off, "nice doggie."

    Lanix heard the low growl of a wolf and assumed, correctly, that Fenrir had discovered the pair.  She took the opportunity to sneak to the other side of them.  She popped through the stalks and whispered, "Boo!"  The two Tor jumped and ran.  She let Fenrir chase them a bit before calling him back.  He let out a few warning barks before returning to the camp. Lanix laughed as she patted his head. "Good, Fenrir."

    The remaining three arose from their rest because of the barking.

    Soren had his typical scowl on his face, "What was that?"

    Lanix replied, "Just a couple of idiots trying to decide if they were going to rob us or not."

    "Why are you laughing?  That's not funny.  We don't have food to spare and I only have enough supplies to start a new life for myself." Soren was impatient.  "We shouldn't have come this way.  I shouldn't have come this way."

    "Listen, Ren," Lanix moved closer to him, "you are welcome to go back to the city and waltz your way through, the rest of us don't have that luxury. If you'd ever been beyond the borders of Ren and its towns you would know what it's like to be stared at and questioned. You'd know what it was like to be jailed for no other reason than that you don't belong there.  So go ahead.  Go through the city.  Meet us on the other side or start your new life.  I don't think any of us would miss you."

    Entor spoke up softly, "I'd miss you. I mean, it's only been a few days but you're already more of my brother than any of my real brothers ever were.  You and Simon both.  I'd miss you a great deal.  Please stay. Plus Fenrir was really helpful in scaring off those guys; I think we need him."

    Simon quietly nodded his support, at least for Entor.

    Lanix and Soren sighed simultaneously and turned from each other. Soren responded, "Fine. I'll stay, for now. But we should get going.  The sooner we get through this part of the trip all the better for us all."

    They packed up their things and continued on the narrow path between the stalks.  The path was marked with a narrow dirt path and the occasional stalk painted red.  Fenrir led the way followed by Soren, then Simon, then Entor, and Lanix trailed in the back with Decimation either buzzing about her head or resting on her shoulder.

    They had made it about a half day's journey when Fenrir started to growl at the stalks ahead.  They all stopped moving and looked and listened for anything unusual.  Lanix motioned for Decimation to fly through the stalks around the group and he left.

    Before Decimation could return, each companion was snatched and pulled into the stalks by different sets of arms.  It was a group of Ren bandits waiting for such an opportunity to present itself.  Their camp was a few yards away from the path and they were there quickly.  In the commotion Lanix had put an illusion on her staff and hid it under her cloak, she wasn't about to lose it again.  Fenrir was able to pull a good chunk of skin off the arm of the Ren who had grabbed Soren before the zivodel was knocked out with a rock.  Entor and Simon kicked and yelled as they could, but neither was able to accomplish anything of note.

    They were tied to large stalks on the edge of the opening.  Soren gave a look to Lanix that said, "I told you so."  Lanix gave a look back that said, "I don't care."  There were about a dozen Ren there, mostly men with a couple of women and a few children.  They all looked hungry and desperate. The leader was unusually muscular for a Ren and his hair was a shade darker than most. He looked over the group and stopped at Soren, "We don't usually attack our own, but you, you're traveling with an unusual group.  Is that of your desire?"

    Soren hesitated, "Unfortunately, yes."

    "Unfortunate? How?"

    "Well, I'm not a fan of the Ix, but the others are tolerable company."

    "I know a group of outcasts when I see one and I see one, two in fact." The big man gruffed. "The name is Klorren.  And I haven't quite decided what to do with you yet.  Your answers to the following questions will determine what comes next.  I suggest honesty."

    Soren nodded.

    "Where is your family?"

    "Gone, taken by the Empress, probably killed."

    "What part of Ren are you from?"

    "The far east, on the edge of Ix."

    "Where did you pick up these three?"

    "On the edge of Ix, near Torren."

    Entor was getting restless, "Don't tell him anything else, Soren.  He doesn't need to know.  He's just a bully.  Klorren, why don't you just take our stuff or slit our throats already?  I just don't need to stay tied up all day.  We have things we have to do and why is it your business anyway why we're friends? "

    "Spicy little thing, aren't you?"  Klorren walked toward Entor.

    Soren yelled, "Entor! No!"  He struggled against his ropes.

    Entor gulped as the man got close, he was much bigger than he had first looked.

    Klorren bent down to her face, "You're awfully young, where is your family?"

    Entor hardened her face, "Right here."

    Neither blinked or moved for seconds that seemed like minutes. Finally, Klorren stood back up and laughed a deep laugh from his belly.  "Little Tor, you have more guts in your nose than most of these men do in their whole beings."  He made a wave to the other men and they untied Entor and Soren from their posts.  Klorren obviously made a couple of friends.  But for now, he left Simon and Lanix where they were.  He took Soren and Entor over to the circle around the fire and gave them food to eat.  

    As Soren and Entor ate, they told stories and caused Klorren to laugh frequently.  At least Entor made him laugh, Soren was not quite so amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A12 - Klorren

      Lanix took the opportunity while the Ren group was distracted to talk to Simon, who was bound on the stalk next to her, "I wonder...