"Soren," Entor whimpered, "are you absolutely sure about this? We can't just wait for you at the hut?"
Simon started having his own misgivings about the trail ahead as they ventured along the edges of the swamps. The trees appeared dark and angry like they didn't want anybody trespassing. He had read about similar forests before but didn't fully understand the creepiness until he experienced it for himself. He also had learned from his reading that nothing good ever came from these kinds of forests.
Soren turned to Entor, "I already gave you the option of staying, Entor."
"I know, but it's just worse than I thought."
Simon interjected, noticing Soren's expression changing, "Entor, it's ok. I think Soren knows what he's doing." He finished and then whispered, "I hope."
Soren turned abruptly, "Listen. Neither of you has to come with me. I just brought you along because you...honestly, I don't know why I brought you along. However, if you keep complaining and whining I'm just going to leave you here. I'll tie you to a tree if I have to." He was going to continue his rant but the cartwheel got stuck in yet another mud hole. Instead, Soren started cursing under his breath, "By Randell tel Tomas and all the Tomatel in the sky, I swear. I swear I'm going to pull out my hair and set this cart ablaze."
Entor looked at Simon with an accusatory look. Simon responded with an apologetic look. Simon tried to think of a way to help and searched his bag. He pulled out the paper-sized leather. He went to Soren and whispered, "I'm sorry. Can I try something?"
Soren nodded. Simon shoved one end of the leather into the mud in front of the wheel. Then he went to the back of the cart and pushed. On the third big push, the wheel broke free of the mud and rolled freely across the leather. Simon picked up the leather, replaced it in his bag, and continued pushing the cart.
Soren looked at him, "I can push again." Simon just shook his head and kept pushing.
The remainder of the hike passed in silence. The cartwheel remained free of mudholes and the tension eased until they reached the edge of the swamps near Torren.
The town was dark, built with logs covered in the black mud from the swamps. It looked more intimidating than the swamps they had passed through. Simon's stomach knotted.
Soren sighed, "You two, climb that tree and wait in the branches until I come back. Do not move. I can't explain how serious I am about that."
Entor and Simon exchanged looks. Entor shrugged her shoulders and began to climb. She moved swiftly and gracefully into the heights of the tree without a sound or a broken twig. It seemed as if she was more comfortable in the tree than on the ground. Simon climbed the best he could after her, but it took considerably longer and several twigs and branches suffered from his ascent.
When Soren was content with their placement, he continued on the path around the outer city. He remembered the days when his father would bring him to Torren. He spent many afternoons in that same tree waiting for his dad to return from the market. He had only joined his dad in the market when he turned sixteen and could defend himself. The market was full of thieves and there was no way that his father could watch both his son and the merchandise he was selling. Soren hadn't understood the full capacity of that until today. He knew that he wouldn't be able to keep an eye on the two youngsters and get what he needed. The tree seemed the safest place for them.
Soren continued to the market and found a buyer for the cart and clothes he needed to sell. It took longer to find the packs to buy, especially because he didn't have a good way to carry everything that the cart had been carrying. He wished he had thought this part through better, but he made it work eventually. Unfortunately, that made the whole endeavor last longer than expected.
----------------
Simon and Entor both grew bored quickly in the tree. Simon had taught Entor the game of Rock, Paper, Scissors, but that source of entertainment grew old quickly. Simon tried to tell Entor the stories from his books, but she wasn't interested. Entor talked through different types of trees and the birds that lived in them and the bugs and the signs of a sick tree. Simon zoned out for most of the lesson. Simon was pulled out of his thoughts by silence. Entor was seldom silent.
He looked all around the massive tree without moving from his comfortable perch, "Entor? Entor!"
"Shhhhh." The noise came from the end of a branch a decent distance away from him. He could barely make out her brown dress between the branches and leaves.
"What are you doing?" He tried to whisper loudly enough for her to hear.
"Come here." She whispered back.
Simon tried to quietly and stealthily move through the branches. He arrived at her branch and knew that the branch wouldn't hold them both, in fact, he wondered how the branch could hold her. She was looking down into a barred window about ten feet below the branch. She looked back at Simon, "It's an Ix. I've never seen one before. She's beautiful with blue hair and blue eyes."
Simon grew curious with that last comment. He tried to find another way to see in through the window. He climbed higher and found a branch that extended out above Entor's and could hold his weight. He climbed slowly to get a better look. As soon as he was certain, he blurted, "Lanix?!"
Lanix looked up through the window in time to see Simon's branch snap and he fell onto the ledge of the window and grabbed the bars. He pulled himself onto the ledge where he barely had enough room to sit. Lanix scoffed and laughed, "Simon, right?"
He looked at her and nodded.
"What are you doing here? Did you follow me?"
This time he shook his head. She was standing well below the window on the inside. Simon looked at her and questioned, "Are you in jail?"
She laughed again, "You'd think they'd forget what you look like after fifty years in the desert maze, but nope. Every Ain still has a picture of me and knows exactly what to look for. So back to the Empress's Palace I go and then probably back to the desert maze."
"Is there anything I can do?" Simon asked.
"If I only had my staff, I could get my way out of here."
"Where is it?"
Lanix laughed louder this time, "Oh kid, there's no way for you to get it. The Ain probably have it locked in some closet or safe. I appreciate the thought though."
Entor took this as her cue to help and without a word or a sound slipped out of the tree and ran into town. Simon didn't notice a thing.
Lanix looked up at Simon, "How's it going up there?"
Simon looked around, "I'm just not sure how to get down without breaking my legs." This is when he remembered Entor and looked for her in the tree, but couldn't find her on her perch any longer. He sighed and continued to try and think of a way to get down. "Do you have any ideas?"
"Ideas, yes. Feasible ones, not so much." Lanix sat back down on her bench.
They didn't talk much more than that. Neither was totally sure they could trust the other and was fearful of revealing too much.
----------------------
Meanwhile, Entor walked through the city. She had learned that if you walk and act with confidence most people won't question your place or purpose. She had a determined stride and walked straight to where she assumed the front of the jail would be, considering it bordered the edge of the town. Sure enough, she found the building she had been looking for with the big sign across the top "JAIL". The Ain were ostentatious and wanted attention with every chance they could get. They wanted others to see them arrest and jail people. They braided their hair with gold and silver beads, they lined their swords and shields with gemstones. Entor rolled her eyes at the bejeweled sign. She put on her sad face and wandered into the jail. As usual, she didn't quite have a full plan, but she was working on it.
She came to the front desk and turned on her tears. "Excuse me, sir. I...I lost my mom in the market and I don't know how to find her." She sobbed a little and took short breaths. "And...and...and... I need to potty!!!" She yelled this last part and started crying and sniffling into the sleeve of her dress.
The Ain behind the desk looked around with confusion and pointed down the hall to his left.
Entor continued crying and fell to the floor. She was looking for keys, a closet, or any hint as to where the staff might be. When she rolled to the floor she noticed a staff tucked under the desk. Really? They just left it under the desk. What idiots.
The Ain came from around the desk and helped her up. He walked her to the bathroom and Entor noticed that no one took his place at the desk while he was away. Oh, this will be so easy, she thought to herself.
As soon as she closed the door, she dried the tears and set to work, pulling mud from the walls and paper from the roll to clog the toilet as best she could. It took a couple of tries but eventually, water was overflowing from the toilet. She stood back with a grin, proud of her handiwork. She straightened after a moment of pride and turned her face back to that of the whimpering child. She ran out of the door, yelling and crying. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. It just...it just."
The Ain ran from the desk and saw the water draining from the bathroom. He covered his mouth, hoping to stop the gag reflex. He started wretching in the corner anyway. When Entor was satisfied that he was occupied and that no one else was coming, she grabbed the staff from under the desk and ran out of the door.
Once she was a few buildings away, she slowed her pace, again walked with confidence, and tried to walk casually with this massive stick in her hand. She wished she could have hidden it but it was twice her height. She did her best to look confident and casual, but she was giddy with pride and anxious with fear.
No comments:
Post a Comment